Thursday, December 6, 2007

Knit unto others . . .

Hurrah! The lovely Sheryl received her knitting goodie package, so now I can show off what I knit for her:

I sent her something of a theme package: a book I loved that was set in Peru (Marie Arana's Cellophane), and so to go with it, a Peruvian Chullo, decorated with alpacas and knit in alpaca (I would've sent along some coca tea, but God knows you can't import that into the U.S. because someone might process cocaine out of it . . . ). As I said in my last post, this was my first attempt at colorwork, and I think it turned out fairly well.
Last weekend hubby and I took a weekend getaway to our favorite little inn in Ocean City, MD, and went to their Christmas parade. And look what they had:


Too cute. But I feel bad for the alpacas, it's too warm here for them (not to mention, I don't think they have any innate desire to participate in parades). Interesting fact: at Machu Picchu, there are llamas and alpacas wandering about the ruins--but (according to my tour guide, Puma) they're not native to that altitude, they actually bring them down from the mountains for the tourists. :o(
**Edit. A commenter indicated that you can buy coca tea on Amazon. I have no idea if it's authentic, but I do know it's super expensive--when I was in Peru, it was practically free! But if you want to try it, there's an option. Perhaps rules have changed, but when I left Peru, you were not allowed to bring any coca products (tea, candy, etc.) with you, either in your luggage or your carry on.**

1 comment :

Reyes Avila, LLC said...

You can buy coca tea in the US , just go to Amazon.com and search for coca tea , they have almost hundred different options, you cannot buy more than 4 boxes at the time but it is worth trying!! They have Bolivian And Peruvian coca teas... Yes they ship from the US 3- 5 days standard and 2-3 expedited.
Enjoy your coca tea!!!