Saturday, February 23, 2013

Saturday Sampler: Sew On

I haven't even taken my new sewing machine out of the box, and I'm finding it hard to imagine ever having time to learn to use, but that doesn't mean I'm not daydreaming about future sewing projects! Here are just a few:



"Easy" baby quilt 


Source: purlbee.com via Chelsea on Pinterest

Darling hot pads 



A simple apron 



Holiday sewing: tree skirt 



Adorable pjs 



Project bags! Lots of them! 

Do you sew? What was your first project?

4 comments :

Deb said...

I learned to sew on a treadle sewing machine, making Barbie doll clothes. After I learned what to do, my mom let me use her machine.

Since then, I've made all types of clothing, including training pants for my son, quilts, curtains, costumes, and occasionally, a mess that got pitched.

Be prepared to make mistakes, they happen, but as long as you keep learning, you're doing great!

Alrischa said...

I sewed a rectangle into a cushion the other day. The sewing machine kept going backwards and trying to eat the fabric. The machine almost had a fatal fall, horizontally into a wall... but it survived. Good Luck!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I sew occasionally. I'm fortunate to have space in the basement to leave my sewing machine out full-time. Otherwise I'd never bother. I learned to sew at school and my first project was a tote bag.

Lately I've sewn pillowcases from quilting fabric - love the pop from combining brighter colours and patterns - as well as scrap quilts.

Good luck with yours! That project bag looks fiddly. I struggle with zippers!

Nicky said...

I learned to sew in school and the first thing I made was an apron.

I agree with the others, just keep at it, invest in a good seam ripper, and don't be discouraged when mistakes happen. I'd also recommend lots of muslin samples ... that helps you work out the kinks in a pattern before you actually use your good fabric.

Best to you!!!