Friday, June 14, 2013

Mommy Escape: Fibre Space Adventure

Yarn shopping

Since we moved to Maryland, Fibre Space is no longer my local yarn shop. In fact, I don't really have one. There are a few in the area, but I was supremely disappointed by the one I visited. And while I was working, Fibre Space was only about 20 minutes from the office, which was reasonable.

Now it's more like 50 minutes away, and since having JJ, spare time to dawdle around a favorite yarn shop, or find and explore a new one, has been rather limited. But on Monday, I left Mr. Stinky Pants with CP, and trekked down to check out Fibre Space's new digs.

They're still in Old Town, Alexandria, but have moved to a space on the main street. It's airier, brighter and roomier. And of course, the good news is, they still have all their usual amazing yarns.

So, what did I walk away with?

A skein of The Fibre Company's new laceweight yarn, Meadow, in Larkspur, a lovely dark blue; and 3 skeins of worsted weight for small projects: Plucky Knitter Plucky Sweater in Sticky Toffee, the Uncommon Thread Lush Worsted in Nutcracker, and SweetGeorgia Yarns superwash worsted in Riptide.

I also picked up a copy of the new Knitscene Accessories, and 2 Brooklyn Tweed patterns--I generally prefer digital patterns, but I also like to support local business, so there you go.

Time, and money, well spent. 

No comments :