Sunday, June 29, 2014

Bound Off: Sprig


Have you checked your calendar recently?

No?

Then I have the sad duty to inform you that, somehow, tomorrow is the last day of June.

2014 is half over!

And what do I have to show for Year of the Pullover so far?

Well, I'm proud to say that I've finally finished a pullover!


Pattern: Sprig, by Alana Dakos of Never Not Knitting, from Botanical Knits 2
Size: 36.75
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh DK in Isadora, 4 skeins
Mods: none
Ravelry link


What a beautiful, beautiful sweater. The construction of this pullover is so inventive, you just have to go with it. Starting the asymmetrical neckline seems utterly bizarre when you cast on, but it all works out in the end.

Most of the sweater is stockinette, with some waist shaping, so it's great for car knitting or when you need something mindless and soothing to focus on.

Knitting on the collar and sleeve cuffs is the fun part, and it goes quickly too!


As usual, I loved working with Madelinetosh yarn; it's soft but sturdy, and colors are just gorgeous. This dusty rose is going to look so good with a pair of well-loved jeans and brown riding boots.

Assuming I ever fit into any of those things again.

If you've been paying attention, you'll know that I'm not modeling this sweater because I'm currently nearly 8 months pregnant; the dress form is optimistically set to my pre-baby measurements.


I followed the instructions for the 36.75" bust; the actual measurement is closer to 35". I can't remember if I did a gauge swatch, so we'll assume I didn't.

Just a little more motivation to lose that baby weight.


I opted for the button loop closure for the sleeves, and now I need to find, either in my stash or on Etsy, two perfect buttons.

(I guess technically the sweater isn't done without buttons, but far too much is at stake in the button decision-making process to rush it!)

I'm thrilled with the sweater, and can't wait to cast on my next project from Botanical Knits 2--my hard copy of the book arrived just last week (there's just something about having a paper copy, isn't there?) and I've been leafing through it excitedly.

But first, I've got a lot more pullovers to finish. Only 6 months of Year of the Pullover to go!

1 comment :

Jodi said...

What a gorgeous sweater! I live all the details. Botanical Knits 2 is chock-full of gorgeous patterns. All best wishes with the baby! So exciting!