Wednesday, June 17, 2009

in which i've actually knit SOMETHING

You'll never believe what I did--I actually knit something! A complete something, as in, an FO. I know, I can hardly believe it myself, but here it is, the second Tidepool sock:

IMG_1355

I started knitting these socks in, I think, February--pair 1 from my 2009 Personal Sock Club. Yeah, that's going really well--it's now June and I've finished exactly one pair.

Sigh.

Well, better than nothing, I guess. This was my first pair of socks knit on 2 circs and . . . well, the jury's still out on that technique. I thought it would help me knit a lot faster than I do on DPNs, but I'm not so sure. It's hard to tell, since I think I just got bored with these socks and therefore dragged the project out way beyond all reason. So bored, in fact, that as I was finishing up the 2nd sock, measuring it against the first to get the right foot length, I realized that I made the 1st sock very small--too small for me in fact, I was in such a hurry to finish. So I guess these socks are going to my mom for her birthday--she has tiny kid feet.

The 2 circ method does reduce your joins around the leg from 3 to 2, so you have fewer areas with potential ladders, but despite yanking on the yarn with all my might at both joins, I still have laddering. I also found my dangling needles getting tangled in the yarn far too often for my liking. On the plus side, this method makes it impossible to lose a needle--no more rifling through my bag try to find that sneaky 4th DPN.

Before starting any new sock projects, I'm going to knit the second Pomatomous (I know I spelled that wrong, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now) sock--fortunately it's one of the 2 half finished projects I included in my Personal Sock Club, so I still get "credit" for it. I recall having a bit of trouble with this pattern for the 1st sock--super slow going, took major concentration--so we'll see if the new 2 circ method helps this one move along more quickly. I zipped through the cuff super quickly, so now it's time to the start the leg.

Speaking of socks, it's really a good idea to wear them when riding a bike. And speaking of bikes, check out Claudia's Knitters against MS fundraiser. Donate $ to a good cause, be entered to win yarn-y prizes.

1 comment :

Debbie Minerva said...

I really like that sock pattern. I think it's simple but classic looking. I just started knitting socks so I'm scouring the internet to look at all the beautiful socks others have knitted.