Monday, December 28, 2009

Feliz Navidad . . . a few days late

So, how was everyone's Christmas? Good? On my end I ate far too much food, drank too much wine, and generally had a lovely time. Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year. Which means I'm really bummed now that it's over. I'm trying to remember that I have some lovely things to look forward to during the next few months: a few trips (including Punta Cana if my plans work out!), some parties, and most importantly, plenty of knitting time for ME.

Not that I did much holiday knitting this year. I only planned 3 projects, and actually only finished 1. Yep, ONE. Bad knitter. The one I did finish turned out well, so once I get a photo, I'll share it with you. One I didn't finish just because I started far too late, so it will be a slightly delayed gift.

And one, well, one was a disaster.

It was the Morgan hat, from Knitty Fall 2008. And it was frankly a pain in the arse. I started knitting on the plane to Mexico, and while the first part wasn't difficult, there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to the crown increases, so it was very tedious. Then I came to a section where I had to knit into the back loop of the stitch 3 rows below--and stuck on a plane, I had no way to look up what this meant, and had to wing it. And it turns out I did it wrong, though not wrong enough to rip out.
I think 99.9% of the pattern is short rows, so lots of fiddly counting and picking up wraps.
But I finally finished all the knitting and had just to seam things up--so, I tried to fit it around my head.
FAIL.
Way, way too small. If it doesn't fit me, it certainly isn't going to fit Dad. Sigh.
So now, what to do? Not sure where exactly to rip back to to fix the fit, but there's absolutely no way I'm going to start over.

In other news, I wore my Wheat Ear Cable Yoke for Christmas day festivities. It was slightly itchy, but very warm (didn't even wear a coat!). My only complaint is having to frequently pull it back down around my shoulders because it kept sneaking upward. But overall, a success, I think.

No comments :