Tuesday, May 15, 2012

On festivities

My intention was to post my video tutorial on Judy's Magic Cast-on today, but after rewatching it, I've determined that my voice is not meant to be shared with the Internet. Also, I need to redo it with larger yarn and needles--small needles and fingering weight yarn are usually used for socks, but for tutorial purposes, they're just too small to provide a good visual.

So while I try to come to terms with my somewhat nasal Baltimore accent, I'll share with you some photos from Maryland Sheep and Wool!

Growing up in Baltimore, you can imagine I didn't have a lot of contact with barnyard animals, so I love going to these festivals and getting to interact with them.

Though I'm still highly disturbed by all the lamb cooking taking place just steps from the barns. Uck.

IMG_5370

IMG_5374

IMG_5375

IMG_5379

IMG_5372

IMG_5380
"That guy is WAY too tall!"

IMG_5384

Last but not least, pygmy goats!
IMG_5383

When I grow up, I want to own a sheep farm!

And now here's the good stuff: my haul.
 
IMG_5386

I was happy to find the Verdant Gryphon booth relatively peaceful, I managed to pick up 2 skeins: one Bugga! and another Traveller. I also grabbed 2 skeins from Bijou Basin Ranch, which sells yak and yak-blend yarn. The red is a yak/cormo blend, and the other a yak/bamboo. Both quite soft.

The last two items are from local businesses--always nice to try something you really can't get anywhere else. The bright stripey skein is a fingering weight from Flying Goat Farms that caught my eye, and the fiber is a silk/BFL blend from Delly's Delights Farm.

We arrived at the festival around 10:30am, and were shopped out by 1--well, I was shopped out. CP was just bored. I missed the sheepdog show, sadly, but clearly spent plenty of time socializing with the other animals. 

Quite a few spinners were there, spinning on what I assume are portable wheels. CP kept asking me lots of questions about spinning wheels--which one is the best, how can you tell a good one from a bad one, what are the different features you should look at, etc.--which leads me to believe he has taken my dabbling in spindle spinning as a sign he should buy me a wheel. Very thoughtful, though perhaps a little premature!

We finished our day, as predicted, at Victoria Gastro Pub, then came home to watch the Orioles miraculously win a 17-inning game against Boston.


And as an aside, the new house is about 20 minutes from MDSW. I think maybe we'll rent out rooms next year . . .

3 comments :

Lap Dog Knits said...

When you grow up....and own a sheep farm...I want to be your neighbor...and I promise...

I'll never cook a sheep...ever!

I want a sheep farm too...
I'm not seeing in my future:-(

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I missed it. I'd plan to commute from NY but it just didn't happen.

Great haul; I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Lola said...

Good idea, renting out room from the house for MDSW! Go for it . . .