Sunday, May 13, 2012

On branching out

You know what they say--don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Ravelry has been a good friend to me as both a knitter and budding designer--I have nothing but good things to say about it, and I've made some amazing virtual friends in the Ravelry community.

Still, it never hurts to see what else is out there. So, a couple months ago, I started cruising around Craftsy a bit. Their website hosts online classes and workshops dedicated to a number of crafts--knitting, crochet, quilting, jewelry-making, sewing (which I feel might get me into trouble in the very near future), weaving, even woodworking. They run $20-$30, and though I haven't purchased one yet, I have every intention of taking Laura Nelkin's Craftsy course on knitting with beads! Because beads = scary.

They also support project pages, a la Ravelry, and recently added a beta Patterns section.

So I thought, "why the heck not?"

You can now find MediaPeruana patterns on Craftsy as well.

craftsylogo

(Also, I don't really know what fat quarters are, but they seem to offer quite a few deals on them, so quilters should check that out too!)

But wait, that's not all.

Crafters are taking over the Internet!

Maybe you've heard about Nimblestix? It's an in-development social networking and fiber crafts site, currently in beta.  I've been playing around over there, slowly adding patterns and projects, exploring the guilds and generally finding my way around. It looks like it's going to be a great new spot for crafting-and-socializing on the 'net.

I have 2 invites to give away to interested beta testers, so if you're curious, shoot me an email!

No comments :