Sunday, October 19, 2008

winding swiftly down the path . . .

See what I did there? Winding? Swiftly? Yes, it's true, the birthday fairy very generously bestowed upon me a swift and ball winder!! Hallelujah!

Many months ago I stumbled across this page about making your own swift. I sent the link to J, figuring he might be inclined to relive his wood shop days and take a crack at crafting one of these, but then I promptly forgot about it.

Fortunately, he didn't. While I was in Peru, he (with some help from his slightly handier Dad) gathered up the appropriate materials and hammered together a portable swift for yours truly. He also managed to figure out that alone it wasn't going to be of much use to me, so he also picked up a ball winder (perhaps you could DIY a winder too, but that seems a little over the top). And I found them both waiting for me when I arrived home Thursday night (barely coherent after 12 hours of travel and zero sleep the night before--don't celebrate your birthday by chugging pisco sours before the taxi comes to whisk you off to the airport at 3am).

I gave them a test run yesterday:Look at those adorably uniform cakes of yarn! Best. gift. ever.

Tomorrow: a smidge about Peru, although unfortunately I didn't have much time for touristing, as I worked all day and was knocked out by a cold on my one free weekend. :(

1 comment :

Mrs. Homesteader said...

awww, yay! What a thoughtful thing for him to do while you were away! And the ball winder is just icing!

And, yeah, I hate when you're in this awesome place you can't enjoy because you work too many hours every day and then you get sick on the weekend when you could actually enjoy where you are. That happened to me in Brazil and so all I got to see in the 3 weeks I was there was Sao Paulo - not exactly a tourist destination.