Tuesday, January 20, 2009

2 for the show

Happy Inauguration Day, everyone! I am, of course, staying as far away from all of the mayhem as possible--my office is about 2 blocks from the White House, which means I get the day off! And I'm quite thankful; my commute is bad on a good day, so I can't imagine how Metro is handling the horde of people descending on the District today.

But don't assume that I'm being unproductive with my vacation day--oh no. In fact, I have not 1, but 2 FOs to show off for you today.

GLOVELY

Pattern: Classic Gloves from the Free Vintage Knitting website
Yarn: Koigu Premium Merino, 2 skeins

I originally picked up the Koigu for some boy socks, not realizing that the yardage per skein is a little on the skimpy side, so 2 skeins isn't quite enough for big boy feet. Perfect amount for these gloves though. The sunlight is a little deceptive, the color is a bit of a darker army-ish green, with just a touch of variation.

Easy pattern (after you get used to reading it--it's laid out in a table format, with separate columns for each size), and no complaints, other than one about gloves in general: so many ends to weave in. HATE! And there's no end in site, as next up in my queue is a pair of gloves for myself!


WINTER SKY SCARF


Pattern: Grumperina's famous Shifting Sands Scarf
Yarn: Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend, 3 skeins Pewter
Mods: courtesy of Brooklyn Tweed

I've already posted some in progress photos and thoughts about this one. Absolutely adore this scarf. Had I had more yarn (and money!), I would've made it longer--it was about 63" after blocking, but stretching it out made it so much thinner, and it was originally so sturdy and thick.

I used Jared's mods for the hems, and it turned out . . . ok, I guess. Tacking down the live stitches was new to me, and I'm sure I would do a better job and make a neater hem with some practice, but this will do for now.


So, two more projects off the needles, and I've finally got the needle I need to finish up the Tangled Yoke. Hopefully finish her up this week, and then on to new projects!

2 comments :

Clumsy Knitter said...

It's nice that you got the day off and can watch everything in the comfort of your warm living room. Cute FOs...that scarf looks great!

Mrs. Homesteader said...

yay for having the day off work!

The scarf and gloves look fabulous!