Thursday, April 5, 2012

On close calls

It seems that 2012 might be the year of Squeaking Out Projects with Just Enough Yarn.

I already had a close brush with my Norie hat, and most recently, I nearly ran out of yarn to complete the Juneberry Triangle.

IMG_5236

Ravelry link

I had 4 skeins of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes on hand to complete this shawl, which is 440 yards. The pattern actually calls for 480.

I think I stopped breathing as I neared the final few inches of the edging.

I even ripped out my gauge swatch.

IMG_5249

Somehow, the yarn gods intervened, and I'm now the proud owner of this rustic looking shawl.

I believe this is my first "real" lace project. Of course, it's not knit in lace weight, but it has patterning on both sides, and a knit on edge, so in that sense, it's more lacy than any shawl I've completed before.

It looks quite bright in these photos, but is darker in person, the shade is "Hollyberry."

IMG_5226

It was amazing to watch the lace patterns grow and flow into one another. I don't know that shawl design is in my future, it seems impossible.

I needed to have this finished for the HPKCHC on Saturday, so sadly it had to be blocked before my new blocking wires arrived. It doesn't look too shabby, except for the crooked top edge, which I hope can be fixed with my new wires and a spritz of water:

IMG_5254

I didn't realize until well into the shawl that I'd been doing my bobbles wrong, so some of them don't quite pop, but I'm still pleased with the overall look.

IMG_5229

I might just submit this for the Maryland Sheep and Wool garment competition . . .

2 comments :

Minding My Own Stitches said...

If you can manage to squeak them out, then it's awfully nice not to have leftovers. My leftovers are usually too little to make much from but too much to discard ;(

The shawl looks absolutely beautiful. Deserves an award if you ask me!

Unknown said...

That shawl is beautiful and inspiring. You should definitely enter it in the sheep and wool event.