Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pattern Debut: Columbia Inn Mittens

It's pattern time!


The Columbia Inn in Pine Tree, Vermont is a fictional ski lodge that plays host to one of my favorite holiday movies: White Christmas. The curtain going up on the Christmas Eve production honoring General Waverly marks the start of the holiday season for my family, as we watch this classic every Thanksgiving night. 

The Columbia Inn Mittens, which I can just picture the busybody housekeeper, Emma, knitting on during a quiet moment, feature a picot edge and decorative snowflake cuff, an excellent opportunity to get your feet wet with a little colorwork. The body of the mitten is worked in plain stockinette, so they knit up quickly—perfect for holiday knitting, or to squeeze into your busy knitting schedule as a gift for yourself. 


Yarn: Knit Picks Palette, 1 ball each in White, Marine Heather and Camel Heather; or 3 shades of fingering weight yarn, approximately 200 yards of main color, fewer than 50 yards each of contrast colors A and B.

The yarn requirements for the contrast colors are minimal; this is a great project for using up scrap yarn! 


Needles: sizes US 2 and 3 DPNs, or size needed to obtain gauge. (You may want to cast on over larger needles; I find it makes it easier to work the picot edge.)

Gauge: 8st/in in stockinette.


Skills needed: Increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round. Experience with stranded knitting might come in handy, or you can just jump in! 


The Columbia Inn mittens are available now for only $3.99. 


And what about the giveaway I promised?

Don't worry, I didn't forget! 

I'll be giving away a copy of the pattern, as well as 3 ball of Knit Picks Palette (1 each white, marine heather, and camel heather) to one lucky winner, so you can knit your own mittens!

To enter, just leave a comment on this post.

And as promised, you can earn additional entries by helping me spread the word about the Columbia Inn Mittens. Share this blog post on Facebook or Twitter and make sure I know about it--the easiest way to do this is to tag me in your Tweet (@MediaPeruana) or link to MediaPeruana Designs in your Facebook post--and you'll earn an extra entry in the drawing.


The contest will close at midnight, Saturday, December 8, and I'll draw the winner the next day. The lucky winner will have his/her prize in hand with enough time to whip up a pair of mittens as a Christmas gift, or give the whole package away as a gift to a fellow knitter!

Mittens!

18 comments :

Sheila said...

Very nice mittens!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

So cute! Just love the patterning on the cuffs :)

Alrischa said...

Mittens!

I haven't made myself mittens for ages (burned my mitten mojo in my first OWL) :) These look so nice, I think I'll tweet them, too...

claire.elizabeth said...

The mittens are so adorable - love the details on the cuffs!

Kaiya said...

How adorable! I love the contrast of the cuff against the clean white mitten.

JP said...

Cute snowflakes :)

CraftyShanna said...

These are really cute! Nice job designing them.

Janne said...

I love your mittens, the cuffs are beautiful,

Debbie said...

Very pretty! I would love to win. thanks!

Debbie said...

I tweeted here:
https://twitter.com/DebbieGussek/status/276443007891435522

Connie K. said...

Lovely mittens! I would love to win, these would be a great gift for my Mom!

greyowl60 at yahoo dot com

amandapalmtree said...

Great color choices!

Heather said...

These are really neat! I knitted my mom a pair of mittens - only pair I've ever knitted. Would,love to try and make these!

Leslie Ordal said...

Eee, I would love to win! Love the colour combo. You can contact me on Rav (lafileuse)

Leslie Ordal said...

Love the colour combo! I can be contacted on Rav (lafileuse).

ikkinlala said...

Those are lovely! It's been a while since I made mittens.

ikkinlala AT yahoo DOT ca

Britney said...

what a beautiful pattern, and i've never seen palette in real life before, it must be nice!

i'm @ilbapsi on twitter, by the way, i spread the word about your awesome new mitten design!

schwip said...

Great for a minnesota winter! I have also tweeted.