Thursday, January 30, 2014

2014: Year of Making Indeed


Remember last month, when I said I was feeling under the weather? That was, I'm . . . excited? to say, a clever euphemism for "I'm all knocked up again and whatnot."

Yep.

Seriously.

This could go down in the books as one of the least planned pregnancies in the history of time (I won't go into the details, but suffice to say, proper precautions were taken--and apparently ignored). We planned to have our kids about 3 years apart. But here we are--Gizmo, as we're calling him/her, will be arriving on or about August 7, and I'll be the proud but exhausted mother of 2 kids under the age of 2.

And scared? Did I mention scared?

As with my last pregnancy, my 1st trimester was plagued by an exhaustion so all-encompassing I could barely pick up my needles. (AND Gizmo found both coffee and diet Pepsi repellant!) Fortunately, I am officially done with the 1st tri, and my energy is returning. Which is good, because I've got a few deadlines looming and a number of designs debuting in the coming months.

Still, I'm feeling as though 2014 is already in a bit of an upheaval. Remember when I declared it the Year of the Pullover? I don't know about that now--what on earth size should I knit? Will I ever be my pre-pregnancy size again? Who knows. 

I'll probably make it to MD Sheep and Wool, but Rhinebeck is definitely out. Anything involving travel after June is out. (I also had some vague plans to take myself to Stitches West this year, and that's out too, though for different reasons.)

And what do I knit for an August baby?? Surely s/he won't need a coming home outfit made of wool.

What I do know is that 2014 is going to be another crazy, amazing year.


5 comments :

amchart said...

Congratulations! You will survive! Take it from someone in your exact shoes 14 years ago and who is now 42 and expecting #8! Don't know how I got here, but glad I did! I will be your cheerleader. You are a girl after my own heart -- coffee & diet pepsi! Love it. Take heart. There is nothing greater than new life.

Heather said...

Congratulations! I had my last two of my three kids nineteen months apart. It seems terribly difficult (and it is), but also fun. And when they get older it is so nice having them close in age. Good luck, you will do great!

Andrea said...

Congratulations! I'm pregnant with my first now and am in the midst of an exhausting first trimester (or, I HOPE it's only going to be the first trimester!) so I feel your pain - I hope you feel better soon!

Deb said...

Congrats on the surprise. You'll be OK and we'll be here to help cheer you on.

You can always make the sweater out of cotton or one of the cotton/elastic sock yarns. There will always be air conditioning and the need to keep the baby warm.

Alrischa said...

Yay! Number two is easier, in my experience, busier, but far less stressful. I hope you find it so! My first two were 14m apart, and they're good little friends now. Anyway, he looks ready to be a Bro. Congratulations!

P.S. Spiderman socks are so cool ;)