Sunday, September 30, 2007

i say, crochet?

Here's the front (or back, I guess) of the Brea Bag.

I'm quite happy with the way this turned out; less happy that I have to knit it all over again for the other side. But it's a quick knit, at least. My biggest worry now is really the crochet required for finishing for the bag. I don't know the first thing about crochet, and the instructions may as well be in Farsi for all the sense they make to me. (When I was teaching, my brilliant students would constantly ask me if their homework/quizzes/tests had to be answered in Spanish; my response was usually something like, "No, please answer in Farsi," sufficiently bathed in sarcasm so as to alert them to how ludicrous it was to even be asking if their Spanish homework should be completed in Spanish. It then came to my attention that a number of them weren't aware that Farsi was, in fact, a language . . . )
I would also like to line the bag, and I don't know how to do that either . . . but I just keep pushing these doubts out of my head and knitting away happily, as if I'll never reach the point where I have 3 separate knitted pieces and a few scraps of fabric sitting in front of me without the slightest clue as to how to put them all together to form anything functional.
It's almost October, which means it's almost time to order my birthday present for myself--the Knit Picks Options set. Yay! I'll also be ordering bunches of yarn for Christmas gifts (12 balls of yarn for hubby's sweater! That's the most yarn I've ever bought for 1 project!), so this is going to be one expensive yarn month. At least I'll qualify for free shipping! ;o)

2 comments :

KrisCe said...

Just a tip on the crochet edging..that seemed pretty weird to me. So check out the Brea Bag KAL thread in our Knit Knack group and you'll find some directions.. (it even includes pictures).

Anonymous said...

love the progress on your Brea! I'll be heading to my yarn store this week to pick up some Cascade 220 for this one. I'm nervous already for the crochet part of the bag, but i'm sure i'll figure it out some how. i'd love to see how yours comes out!!